What has ECCFPD done to live within its means?
In recent years, ECCFPD has made structural changes to improve its service become more efficient. Since 2010, the District has:
- Closed 5 of its original 8 fire stations;
- Reduced the size of its firefighting staff from 57 to 31;
- Frozen salaries from 2007 until 2012;
- Sold/prepared to sell surplus equipment and other property;
- Minimized benefit costs in it contracts with its union, Firefighters Local 1230 by:
- Requiring all union employees to pay the full cost of their contributions toward their pensions, consistent with State pension reforms.
- Instituting a 50% cost sharing for future medical insurance cost increases, which reduces the District's costs for retirees' health coverage; and also
- Paying firefighters $400 per month if they sign up for health coverage through a spouse or partner's employment rather than through ECCFPD. When this benefit is chosen, ECCFPD's saves as much as $15,000 per year per employee.
Was this helpful?